For subscribers, the May 2021 issue of the CPI Update appears attached below, and deals with the following cases:
- A landlord’s break clause in a long lease - Wigan BC v Scullindale Global Ltd.
- Recent case law on recovery of COVID-19 rent arrears - Commerz Real Investmentgesellschaft mbh v TFS Stores Ltd/Bank of New York Mellon (International) Ltd v Cine-UK Ltd.
- Terminating an agreement for lease - Reaction Engines Ltd v BNP Paribas Depositary Services (Jersey).
- Promptitude in seeking relief from forfeiture - Keshwala & Anor v Bhalsod & Anor.
- Transitional adverse possession rules - Haandrikman v Heslam.
- Consent to build under restrictive covenants - Savage v 60 Kent Road (Maintenance) Ltd.
- Escheat when foreign companies dissolve - Lizzium Ltd v The Crown Estate Commissioners.
- Rights of reverter under the School Sites Act 1841 - Rittson-Thomas and others v Oxfordshire County Council.
There is also consideration of:
- Amendments to the Code of Practice on commercial rents during COVID-19.
- A call for evidence on commercial rents related to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Land transaction tax amendments for non-residential leases.
- Residential development – a new property developer tax.
- Rent suspension clauses in leases.
Published on 3 May 2021.