For subscribers, the April 2020 issue of the CPI Update appears attached below, and deals with the following cases:
- A rights to light case (with an injunction) - Beaumont Business Centres Ltd v Florala Properties Ltd.
- The extent of a building for enfranchisement purposes - L M Homes Ltd & Anor v Queen Court Freehold Company Ltd.
- Reinstatement as the basis for an insurance claim - Endurance Corporate Capital Ltd v Sartex Quilts & Textiles Ltd.
- What is residential property for SDLT - Myles-Till v Revenue & Customs Commissioners.
- Modifying estate covenants - O'Callaghan v Middleton. Inconsistent easements - Poste Hotels Ltd v Cousins.
- CIL and phased planning permissions - R (on the application of Oval Estates (St Peter’s) Ltd) v BANES Council.
There is also extensive commentary on the implications for property of the coronavirus crisis, including:
- Business rents (protection from forfeiture; rent suspension; rent rescheduling).
- Other lease points (frustrated leases; breach of covenant by tenants; altered services by landlords).
- Business interruption policies.
- Force majeure in contracts.
- Sale and purchase (coronavirus restrictions; Law Society advice; Government advice).
- Land Registry advice.
- Execution, witnesses, and statutory declarations.
The Update also covers:
- Electronic signatures: a Ministerial Statement.
- SDLT surcharge for non-resident buyers’ surcharge.
- Consultation on the use of the Retail Prices Index.
- Annual chargeable amounts for ATED.
- Capital Gains Tax - changes to private residence relief.
- Land Registry - consent restrictions.
Published on 29 March 2020.