For subscribers, the October 2018 issue of the CPI Update appears attached below, and deals with the following cases:
- Examining the validity of a 1954 Act notice - Dukeminster Ltd v West End Investments (Cowell Group) Ltd;
- Upward/downward rent review on lease renewal - Dukeminster Ltd v West End Investments (Cowell Group) Ltd;
- Use of CRAR as a waiver of forfeiture - Thirunavukkrasu v Brar & Brar;
- Rectification of a lease for unilateral mistake - CDS (Superstores Int.) Ltd v Place Road Properties Ltd;
- Expert determination of a valuation date - Great Dunmow Estates Ltd v Crest Nicholson Operations Ltd;
- CGT and private dwelling relief - HMRC v Higgins;
- Duties of mortgagees on sale of an asset - Close Brothers Ltd v AIS (Marine) 2 Ltd;
- Illegality as a defence to negligence - Stoffel & Co v Grondona;
- Nuisance caused by independent contractors - Lindsay v Berkeley Homes (Capital) plc.
In addition, there is coverage of:
- The new RICS service charge professional statement.
- Changes to the registration of TVGs in Wales.
- Leasehold reform – the Law Commission consultation.
- Further points on abandonment of easements.
- A number of Land Registry practice points.
Published on 30 September 2018.