For subscribers, the May 2017 issue of the CPI Update appears attached below, and deals with the following cases:
- Lease assignment: no appeal in the EMI Group case – EMI Group Ltd v O & H Q1 Ltd;
- Lease assignment and buy-back clauses - TCG Pubs Ltd v The Art or Mystery of the Girdlers of London;
- Liability for business rates on ATMs - Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd v Sykes (Valuation Officer);
- Parking rights as easements - De Le Cuona v Big Apple Marketing Ltd;
- Recreational rights as easements - Regency Villas Title Ltd v Diamond Resorts (Europe) Ltd;
- The effect of a disclaimer on a joint tenancy - Abdulla v Whelan;
- A case on interpretation of a right of way - Shaw v Grouby.
In addition, there is coverage of:
- EPC statistics with the MEES regulations in mind.
- Proposals for a register of overseas property ownership.
- Insolvency Rules 2016.
- Royal Assent for the Digital Economy Act 2017.
- How adjacent tenants enjoy rights to light.
- Whether contract deposits amount to penalty clauses.
- The arrival of the SCPCs 3rd Edition.
- Slight changes to Land Registry identification rules.
Published on 30 April 2017.