For subscribers, the September 2016 issue of the CPI Update appears attached below, and deals with the following cases:
- What is ‘vacant possession’ in the context of a break clause? Riverside Park Ltd v NHS Property Services Limited;
- Rights to light: injunction or damages? Ottercroft Ltd v Scandia Care Ltd;
- Surrender of a lease without consent of a lender - Co-operative Bank Plc v Hayes Freehold Ltd (In Liquidation);
- Unfair terms legislation in relation to long leases - Roundlistic Ltd v Jones;
- The court’s discretion to grant an administration order - Rowntree Ventures Ltd v Oak Property Partners Ltd;
- Overreaching and land registration - Haque v Raja & Khan;
- Capital Gains Tax treatment of forfeited deposits - Hardy v Revenue & Customs Commissioners;
- Interpreting mortgage terms and conditions - Alexander v West Bromwich Mortgage Company Ltd.
In addition, there is coverage of: The commencement of the Insurance Act 2015;
- An HMRC consultation on filing changes for SDLT;
- An HMRC consultation on tax avoidance and the penalties for unlawful avoidance;
- A consultation response on business rating appeals;
- Surrenders and the need for mortgagees’ consents;
- Updated Land Registry Practice Guide 26 (Leases - determination).
Published on 31 August 2016.