For subscribers, the May 2015 issue of the CPI Update appears attached below, and deals with the following cases:
- Wilson & 375 Live Ltd (in liquidation) v SMC Properties Ltd – in what circumstances will the court validate a transfer by an insolvent seller under section 127 Insolvency Act 1986?
- Ali v Secretary of State for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs – does locking a gate once a year demonstrate an intention not to dedicate a footpath as a highway?
- Merie Bin Mahfouz Co. (UK) Ltd v Barrie House (Freehold) Ltd – on enfranchisement, is a landlord entitled to leases back of parts to be made into apartments and offices?
- Curzon v Wolstenholme – can an enfranchisement claim be defeated by a transfer of the reversion?
- Swift 1st Ltd v Chief Land Registrar – do forged deeds, registered at the Land Registry, provide a defrauded proprietor with a right to an indemnity?
In addition, there is coverage of:
- The 2015/16 bands and rates for the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings.
- The recent consultation on reform of the Electronic Communications Code.
- What amounts to delivery (or non-delivery) of vacant possession on the sale of land.
- A number of updated Land Registry Practice Guides.
- The new RICS guide on Service Charge Handover Procedures.
Published 1 May 2015.